No matter how responsible you are, sometimes you can’t remember your password and get locked out of Windows. If you’ve lost your Windows Server 2019 password, you can reset it using the following steps:
Step 1: Moving The CMD.EXE File
- Boot the Windows Server 2019 installation media.
- On the Windows Setup page, select the language and other preferences, and then click Next.
- Click on the “Repair your computer” option at the bottom left corner.
- In the “Choose an option” screen, select “Troubleshoot”.
- In the “Troubleshoot” screen, select “Advanced options”.
- In the “Advanced options” screen, select “Command Prompt”.
- In the Command Prompt, type the following command and press Enter:
copy c:\windows\system32\utilman.exe c:\windows\system32\utilman.exe.bak
This will create a backup of the original utilman.exe file. Then, type the following command and press Enter:
copy c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe c:\windows\system32\utilman.exe
This will replace the utilman.exe file with the cmd.exe file.
Step 2:Opening The CMD Shell
Restart your computer and click on the “Ease of Access” button on the login screen.
This will open a Command Prompt window. Type the following command and press Enter:
net user administrator *
- You will be prompted to enter a new password for the Administrator account. Enter your new password twice.
- Once you have reset the password, close the Command Prompt window and restart your computer.
- After the computer has restarted, click on the “Ease of Access” button on the login screen again.
- This time, select “Cancel” instead of opening the Command Prompt window.
- You should now be able to log in to your Windows Server 2019 computer using the new password you just set for the Administrator account.
Step 3:Moving Back The CMD File
Once you have successfully logged in, don’t forget to restore the original utilman.exe file by running the following command in an elevated Command Prompt:
copy c:\windows\system32\utilman.exe.bak c:\windows\system32\utilman.exe
Conclusion: This will restore the original utilman.exe file and revert the changes you made earlier. That’s it in this blog we learned how to reset windows server lost password with ease.