If you forget your user’s password in Ubuntu, don’t worry. Ubuntu password is very easy to reset. This guide will show you how to reset Ubuntu 20.04 lost password from GRUB. This method should work for other Linux distributions as well. To reset a lost password on Ubuntu 20 from the GRUB bootloader, you can follow these steps:
STEP 1: Accessing the GRUB Menu
- Power on your Ubuntu system and wait for the GRUB bootloader screen to appear.
- Use the arrow keys to select the default boot option, then press the “e” key to edit the boot parameters.
- Use the arrow keys to navigate to the line that starts with “linux” and contains the boot parameters.
- Use the arrow keys to move the cursor to the end of the line and add to“init=/bin/bash” the end of the line.
- Press Ctrl + X or F10 to boot with the modified parameters.
Step 2: Reset Ubuntu 20.04 Lost Password
You will be presented with a command prompt with root privileges. Type the following command and press Enter to remount the root file system as read-write:
mount -o rw,remount /
Type the following command and press Enter to set a new password for the user account:
(replace “username” with the actual username of the account you want to reset the password for)
You will be prompted to enter a new password. Enter your new password and press Enter. You will be prompted to re-enter the password. Type it again and press Enter. Once you have successfully reset the password, type the following command and press Enter to reboot your system:
After the system reboots, log in using the user account and the new password you just set.
Note: If you do not know the username of the account you want to reset the password for, you can use the “ls /home” command to list the usernames of all user accounts on the system.
Conclusion: If you already have access to your user account, resetting or changing your password in Linux is easy. Lost or forgotten passwords can be more complicated, but with a little creative rebooting and editing, it’s not too difficult. That’s how you reset Ubuntu 20.04 lost password from GRUB.